I am a huge fan of buttermilk waffles and have tried numerous waffle recipes over the past few years. I recently stumbled across this recipe from MarthaStewart.com and it’s a gem. They came out absolutely crispy and perfect just the way I like them. I feel like I can stop searching for the perfect recipe now because I finally found it.
If you are a big waffle fan I highly recommend this waffle iron from All Clad
Here is Martha’s Recipe:
3 large eggs
8 tbsp of Unsalted Butter (1 stick)
2 cups of Buttermilk
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 and a half teaspoons Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
How to make them:
1. Grease your waffle iron with a small amount of melted butter, and heat. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder,cinnamon, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour into dry mixture, and combine.
3. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into batter.
4. Ladle about 1/3 cup batter onto each section of the waffle grid; spread batter almost to the edges. Close lid, and bake 3 to 5 minutes, until no steam emerges from waffle iron. I tried cooking them for 3 minutes and 5 minutes and found that 5 minutes makes them a lot crispier.
5. Transfer cooked waffles to a baking sheet; place in an oven set to low heat, about 200 degrees, while using remaining batter.
I like to serve them with Organic Maple Syrup or Nutella. Since my mom is from Argentina I will have to also make them for her with Dulce de Leche.
photo from MarthaStewart.com